Public Service Car 2651 - A Living History

 

  • 1917
    • Public Service Railway Company built this car at their Newark (Plank Road) Shops in July 1917. It was part on a second group of fifty compromise roofs cars built by PSR between June 1917 and Aug 1917.
    • The car measuring 50 foot 10 inch over its bumpers was outfitted on August 11, 1917 with new Standard 0-50 trucks carrying four 514C motors. Initially, the double-ended car received two HLD controllers and a CP27 Compressor. It was equipped with independent air brakes and HB Life-Guard Fenders. The 36 foot 6 inch car body had a seating capacity of 50 on longitudinal seats. In 1917, the car used a Pay on Platform fare system. Folding doors steps were noted on the car record as original equipment.
    • The Public Service Railway car service record indicates 2651's first assignment to Roseville Car House, Newark on September 9, 1917. Assignment to Roseville continued exclusively with short transfers to the Newark Shops until August 1921.
  • 1919
    • July 18, 1919: Trucks motors and compressor removed to 2686.
    • August 20, 1919: 050 trucks with 4-514 motors and CP27 compressor received from 4155.
  • 1920
    • September 1, 1920: Trucks and motors transferred to 1810. B27G with 101C motors (4) were received from 4109.
  • 1921
    • From August 5, 1921 through December 1923, there were short assignments to various car houses: South Orange, Miller Street, Roseville and Lake Street.
  • 1922
    • February 16, 1922: Trucks transferred to 1659 and motors to shop. B27G 1 ½ with 514 motors were received from 1659.
    • February 16, 1922: Controllers changed to two K35.
    • May 15, 1922: Trucks, motors and compressor removed to 1477.
    • May 16, 1922: Trucks (2-050), motors (4-514) and CP27 compressor from 2681 installed.
  • 1923
    • April 28, 1923: Trucks, motors and compressor to 4129.
    • April 31, 1923: Trucks B27G1½ from 4105.
    • September 29, 1923: Trucks (2-050) and motors (4-200J) from 4129 installed.
    • December 11, 1923: started an assignment to Miller Street with only short assignments to other car houses that lasted until March 1930.
  • 1927
    • February 9, 1927: One window wiper installed.
  • 1929
    • June 13, 1929: Air gong installed.
  • 1930
    • March 26, 1930 saw a series of bouncing assignments between Big Tree, Miller St, South Orange and the Newark Shops (presumable for maintenance) lasting until September 1935.
  • 1932
    • November 15, 1932: Trucks and motors removed to 2718, trucks and motors from 4001 installed.
  • 1935
    • September 17, 1935 saw assignment to Miller St until 1937 with some short transfers to Roseville and Newark Shops (presumably for maintenance).
  • 1937
    • The car was reported stored on Passaic Wharf from October 1, 1937 to October 1, 1940. An entry in the car record shows an October 1, 1944 assignment to Greenville Car House. (Note: PSR routinely documented equipment locations on October 1st of each year.
  • 1940
    • Car retired from active service.
  • 1942
    • Car returned to service to assist in WWII shuttled workers to the Navy Ship Yards in Elizabeth, NJ.
  • 1946 (approximately)
    • Sold and moved to Long Valley, NJ to provide a temporary home while a permanent home was constructed.
  • 1973
    • Reports of a car body in Long Valley result in the location of the car and its purchase by Tony Hall.
  • 1974
    • Car moved to Ringoes, NJ for restoration work.
  • 2001
    • March 3, 2001: Moved from Ringoes, NJ to Phillipsburg, NJ - by North Jersey Electric Railway Historical Society.
  • 2006
    • February 25, 2006: Power Trucks acquired for restoration of 2651.